Why Are URLs Important for Search Engine Optimization?
Most businesses underestimate the power that their website URLs have in their page rankings. But they shouldn’t. URLs are extremely important for search engine optimization (SEO). This is because your URLs are often the first thing that both Google and your customers see. Not to mention, they are the building blocks of an effective site hierarchy. However, creating a SEO friendly URL is a lot easier said than done.
How Can I Create a SEO Friendly URL?
There is a lot that goes into cultivating a SEO friendly URL that will help your business’s website climb page rankings. However, to help you get started, we compiled a list of some can’t miss SEO tips for URL optimization.
- Make sure that your URLs are readable. If you can’t understand your URLs, neither can search engines.
- Always use hyphens to separate the words in your URLs since Google does not read underscores. For example, make your URL https://yourdomain.com/best-pediatric-dentist instead of https://yourdomain.com/best_pediatric_dentist.
- Don’t use any capital letters in your URLs. URLs are case sensitive to placing capital letters in it will only confuse search engines and visitors.
- Block any and all bad URLs with robots.txt. This tells search engines to ignore dynamic URLs that point to your canonical URL.
- Use canonical URLs and avoid a duplicate content penalty by informing search engines your preferred domain and preferred web pages.
- Upload a favicon. This will not only build your brand but will build trust with both your site visitors and search engines as well.
- Utilize 301 redirects to tell Google about any changes to your URLS so you don’t lose your page rankings.
- Always remember to add target keywords in your URLs. By doing so, any search engines that read your URLs will be able to connect browsers with relevant content and have your site rank for those specific keywords.
How Else Can I Improve My Page Rankings?
Optimizing your URL isn’t the only way that your business can climb page rankings. In fact, there are countless SEO tactics that can make sure that you get to the top of Google search results. But, thanks to constant updates and ranking factors, SEO is complicated and confusing. As a result, one of the best ways to guarantee an improvement in your page rankings is by allowing an internet marketing company do all the hard work for you. For the best team of internet marketers to handle all of your SEO needs, look no further than Digital Resource. We would love to assist your business in reaching new levels of success. Contact our SEO experts today to learn more!